In this fast-paced digital world, it has become more important than ever for a business to have an Internet presence via a website, social networking, support forums or combination. Once you’ve set up that presence, the next step is to get found on the Internet. But how do you get found when there are millions of other businesses competing in that same space?
Search engines help users to filter and find content by looking at the relevancy of each website, social media page, post, etc. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) once a technical term, has found its way into our everyday business language. Using ever-evolving complex mathematical algorithms, search engines determine what content is relevant to serve up in each search result. Effective use of SEO can help a business to drive traffic that may result in conversions (e-mail signups, qualified leads or sales transactions.)
For example, customers may do online research before making a decision to buy a product and where to buy it. Are you making research content available online to enable potential customers to make buying decision? How will these customers find you and this content? Many will go to their web browser and enter something like “what is the best frost free refrigerator to buy?” Each search engine will serve up content determined to be most relevant to that user’s search.
Keywords are one of the many factors used to rank search results. A florist might choose keywords like: flowers online, send flowers, online flowers, etc. In addition to keywords, search engines also look at your relevant activity on the topic and connections with other relevant sites. There are many elements and techniques involved in optimizing search results for your business. Here are five tips that can help increase the likelihood of someone finding your page:
1. Use SEO-Friendly Keywords
- Develop a list of SEO-friendly keywords your target audience would use when searching for your business or content. Select keywords that are relevant and are searched on a monthly basis. Test these keywords using various search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc.
- Use these SEO-friendly keywords on your website, in posts and other content pages.
- Refresh your keywords and content on a regular basis to stay current with ongoing changes in search engine optimization.
2. Use Links
- Incorporate links to other businesses or communities (outbound) and encourage others to link to your content (inbound.) Linking helps search engines to determine how relevant your content or site is to related topics.
3. Leverage Social Media
- Setup a presence in online communities and share ideas with that community.
- When setting up each social media network, fill out the profile completely. Be sure to build out a concise and clear description of your business, product or service. Your profile is often the public’s first point of contact with you. Use keywords in your profiles to help with search engine results.
4. Provide Quality Content
- Post content that is relevant to your audience.
- Create or curate quality content that creates a positive experience for your visitors.
5. Monitor and Adjust
- Use an analytics tool to track and monitor your website and social media traffic. Make adjustments to your strategies as needed.
Whether you’ve already established a presence on the Internet or are just getting ready to begin your efforts, keep these SEO tips in mind so you can set up your business for success.